Seasonal Allergies – Dr Jane Benjamin
With spring approaching it is the perfect time of year to take long walks on the mountain, do a bit of gardening, take kiddies to the park and get in touch with nature.
But spring bliss can also lead to allergy symptoms for 20 % of all South Africans. These symptoms include a runny nose, sneezing, watering and itchy eyes, wheezing, coughing and itchy skin. These symptoms may mean you have allergic rhinitis (running nose), allergic conjunctivitis, asthma or eczema.
If you have these symptoms there are numerous things you can do to minimize your symptoms.
General measure you can take include the following:
– Wear a protective mask while gardening
– Keep and doors & windows closed, air conditioner filters can trap pollen. Change these often
– Consider holidays near the sea not inland or in areas of high pollen count
– Protect your eyes with sunglasses to reduce the amount of pollen they are exposed to
– Wash hair, body, and clothes at the end of the day as all of these can trap pollen
– Check your pets as they can often bring pollen indoors and transfer it onto couches and bedding
If symptoms still persist after these general measures get proper treatment:
– Oral antihistamine tablets are the mainstay of treatment. You can get non-drowsy, once daily, long acting antihistamines
– There are numerous steroid based nasal sprays that can improve the symptoms of allergic rhinitis. Some of these you can get over the counter
– Allergy eye drops are also available if your eye symptoms are very bad
– Decongestants can make you feel better but can elevate your blood pressure – so check with your doctor what the best options are for you
– If allergies cause your asthma symptoms to flare you may need to step-up your treatment regime to manage symptoms
If you are still symptomatic after all of this you may need to have a steroid injection but best to discuss this with your doctor. This is normally only if symptoms are very severe as high dose steroids have numerous unwanted side effects.
Hopefully, these useful tips will help prevent some of your allergy symptoms this spring!
Virtus Health & Medical
Tel: +27 21 439 1555
Address: 3rd Floor, The Point, Sea Point